Friday, August 24, 2012

Kaya Malay Bistro Grand Opening Celebration

Located on West Broadway, Kaya serves Malaysian and Southeast Asian cuisine. Flipping through the menu, there are favorites like roti, satay, chicken curry and Pad Thai. Open since late July, Kaya celebrated their Grand Opening today with free tapas and wine tastings for all customers. Always willing to try new restaurants, I headed down after work. I arrived at 6 and the place was already hopping. My party decided to share a couple of dishes and went for the Pad Thai and seafood fried rice in a pineapple boat.




Tapas to start: Calamari, Vegetarian spring rolls, Vegetarian curry samosas. The calamari was delicious!
One of my favorite dishes - roti with curry sauce.
Red and white wine tasting.
Pad Thai
Seafood fried rice in pineapple boat.
A mango smoothie sampler.
Kuih Dadar - a crepe with grated coconut soaked in palm sugar.
The tapas were good, especially the roti (they also offer whole wheat roti!) and calamari. I would come back just to eat roti - delicious! The Pad Thai ($10) was also very good with shrimp, tofu and bean sprouts, though it was a tad too spicy for my liking (though I am a weakling when it comes to spices). I was a little disappointed with seafood fried rice in the pineapple boat ($13). There were no pineapples in it, and no raisins or sunflower seeds like listed on the menu, plus the rice was a little bland. The seafood consisted of squid and shrimp and for the price, there was not a lot of rice in the boat! The mango smoothie was very cool and refreshing. It was a good for cooling down after eating spicy foods. It was the first time I've tried Kuih Dadar so I don't have anything to compare it to. There was a bit too much sugar soaked in the coconut filling that it was very sweet, but it was definitely interesting! All in all, a great meal and a successful grand opening for Kaya, judging by the line up by the door as I left.

To check out Kaya's menus, check out their website and stay connected with them through Facebook and Twitter.

No comments: