Sunday, April 01, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Note - Product Review


I was loaned a Samsung Galaxy Note a few weeks ago and have been using it as my secondary phone so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on it. At first glance, I thought - whoa! It's really big! With a 5.3" HD Super AMOLED display, it's the largest screen size of any smartphone on the market. It's marketed as an in-between phone and tablet. It's undeniable that the screen is beautiful - the colours are vibrant and it's easier to browse on the screen when it's so big. After I got used to it, it's actually not so bad - I can still fit it into my pocket.

The Galaxy Note runs on Android 2.3 and has a front and back-facing 8mp camera. You can take pictures and record videos. One of the things that I didn't particularly like was the lag time of the camera taking the picture. You can snap the photo but it won't process until what feels like eons later.

One of the new features is the S pen - a stylus you can use to touch, press and drag with more precision than if you were using your finger. With the S Pen, you can also take screen captures of any page you want and draw or write notes on it. It really comes in handy when you need to send a memo or a map to someone! The battery life is decent - I do a lot of heavy browsing during my commutes in the morning, and having it on intermittently during the day to check my email or play some games and the battery will last about 9 hours.

Of course the Play Market offers thousands of Android apps for download. One of my favorites right now is Draw Something. The S Pen and the large screen on the Galaxy Note makes it a lot easier to draw awesome pictures!

On another note, my video about the Galaxy Note was actually selected as one of the top 25 that were submitted, which means I will be going to the 2012 London Summer Olympics as a Samsung Mob!ler again, courtesy of Samsung! Thanks to everyone who watched my video, and if you haven't yet, here it is again.


No comments: