Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflection on 2010

I have to say, 2010 was an amazing year, filled with lots of incredible events, but also some sad ones. First with the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics happening in my home town which was a huge and amazing event in itself. I was lucky to be working right in the middle of it all at the Main Media Centre so I was downtown where all the action was everyday. I had a lot of trouble finding a permanent job this year and was jumping from temp job to temp job, but I met some great people and made new friends while doing them!

Later on was the low point of the year, when my grandpa wasn't doing too well and he passed away. Long story about that, which I'm still a little bitter about, but at least I know he went surrounded by family and friends. Soon after that, I went through several rounds of interviews to snag the job that I have now (though my contract is up today, but I should be continuing? I'll update you on that when I know!). It took me a long time and tons of resumes sent to land a full time job, so I was pretty stoked about this one, even though it was a contract position. It was good to get some experience in something that I'd related to my field.

Around the same time, I was accepted into the Samsung Mob!lers Program, the first in Canada. It was a quick application through Facebook that my sister sent me that I completely forgot about until I got an email to set up a phone interview. I was flown to Toronto (my first time there!) for training, met my team and was given the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant smartphone, and the competition and marketing campaign was on for two months! We churned out four videos in total (check out the Facebook page here), won two of the missions ($300 prize per win) and won the grand prize - $1000 and an all-expense paid trip to Seoul, Korea! It was an amazing trip and the other Mob!lers from around the world I met were awesome and I had sooo much fun.

2010 was also the year I started contesting. I had blogged about how I read about people who win over $22,000 worth of prizes a year and I was going to give it a shot this year. While in between temp jobs and applying for jobs, I had some time to enter and I won some things worth noting! After I started my full time job, I didn't have any time to enter anymore, but I think I managed to win quite a bit this year! I will post all my winnings soon, so watch for that! Maybe it will inspire you to start contesting too! I think in 2011, I will try and get back into entering contests because nothing beats the high of finding out you won a prize!

Well I hope everyone had a good year in 2010! Let me know what your highlights were! Have a fun and safe New Year's Eve, and I'll see you next year! 

No comments: