Thursday, June 24, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Movie Review

I went to watch Prince of Persia on my birthday with my sister and some of my friends on June 9th. I wanted to watch it when I first saw the trailer. I've always enjoyed movies produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, they're always so action packed and exciting. I have never played the games so I didn't know what to expect.

The movie is about Dastan, who was a street kid that the king adopted, and his brothers invading the Holy City of Alamut because they get word that the city is supplying weapons to Persia's enemies. Soon after, Dastan is framed for killing the king and he runs off, along with Tamina, a princess of Alamut, who is also the protector of the dagger containing the sands of time. Dastan has to go back to Persia to clear his name and rescue his brothers from the evil mastermind behind the king's death and the invasion of Alamut.

I thought it was a good movie, with some witty banter between Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Tamina (Gemma Arterton). It certainly met my expectations for a Disney and Bruckheimer film. My sister, who has played all the computer games, said they changed a lot of things, so I'm not sure what hard core fans of the game will think. I don't like Jake Gyllenhaal, and wish they had cast someone else for the role of Dastan, but I suppose he did a good job. For the regular movie goer, I'd definitely recommend the movie. I'm hoping there will be a sequel. 5/5 stars!

No comments: