Friday, January 08, 2010

Coupon Savings in 2009

I started couponing in the summer of 2008, just tentatively at first, because I wasn't sure the stores would accept them (the free product coupons). I started getting into the swing of things by the fall, and by the end of the year, used at least $500-700 in coupons in just a few months! So I decided I would keep track of the amount of coupons I used in 2009. I inputted most of the things I bought, but there were definitely things I forgot to write down.

I used over $6772 worth of coupons in 2009.


That's not including the $660 of free stuff I got from Shoppers Drug Mart points redemptions (3x $170, 1x $150), the mail in rebates I sent in (about $45), Canadian Tire money I used, and the multiple gift cards to stores I got from trading my coupons or in-store offers (about $130), or the things I got free due to the SCOP. And that's not counting the true savings I got because I price-matched from another store flyer or waited for a sale, or there was some crazy blowout closing sale, or used my SPC discount.

So for about $8400 worth of things (at sale price! AND including 12% tax), I'd say my out of pocket expense was less than $800. That's not even 10% of what the items cost (darn those pesky taxes!). Plus I have my own little stockpile of household, cleaning and personal hygiene items that I won't have to buy for the next while (and pay full price for!) and can "shop" in my own home.Shampoo, face wash, soap, toilet paper, household cleaners, razors, shave gel, granola bars, soup, you name it, I got it!

This year, I'm going to try and calculate my "true" savings, comparing the regular store price with the sale price with coupons. I'm hoping to save at least a few thousand again. Sales have been pretty bad the last 4 or 5 months, and I hope it doesn't continue in 2010.

For those interested in couponing, keep reading my blog, as I will be posting more about coupons and savings in the future!

No comments: